Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Parents of teens: Do you drink around your teenagers/children?

I am a teenager at the moment. I do not drink. I do not plan to drink. But I am curious as to why parents feel that they can prohibit their children from drinking when they themselves drink as well. It can still cause damage in the adult body as well. The fact that it is illegal does come into play, that I do agree with. But other than that, how can parents tell children not to drink when they themselves drink in front of their teens? This is just something that has been bothering me. Any parents who could answer this would help me.Parents of teens: Do you drink around your teenagers/children?
Alcohol is not the problem. PEOPLE who ABUSE alcohol are the problem. If used occassionally and responsibly alcohol is something that can be enjoyed among adults.





When I was growing up my parents drank alcohol occasionally at dinner or with friends. My parents were/are responsible about how much they drink and who will be driving. In turn I have turned into a mother myself who has a drink once in awhile but who doesn't abuse he substance.





I also think that parents have a resposibility to talk to their kids about alcohol and safety. If we educate our children about the effects of alcohol and how to be responsible then the propablilty that they will abuse alcohol will be less. And on that note, if we as parents try to totally shield our children from alcohol and teach them nothing it is more likely that they will abuse it once they do get introduced to it.Parents of teens: Do you drink around your teenagers/children?
Yeah, my parents do. I plan to drink, too.
I'm not a mom of a teenager yet. My son is only 9 months, but I won't drink in front of him when he is a teenager or even younger than that. We're suppose to be their parents and role models, so how would we look if we're drinking, getting drunk or a bit tipsy infront of them? I think it's wrong. The parents need to find some place else to drink at or wait until the kids are asleep.
As a mom to a three year old and a one year old I can honestly say this hasn't come up yet, but I do agree with you though that parents should not drink, smoke, do drugs period unless they are willing to be an example to their child that it is ok. Because whether or not it is in teen years or after they will more likely than not try just because it was a part of there life. Parents should not expect their children to do as I say not as I do. As I was told growing up.
no! i have done my share of drinking and drugs but never around my children! i especially hate when parents drink and drive with their children. my children don't even know the half of what i have done, and they don't need to. i don't party anymore, so it's no big deal for me not to drink.
My parents drink a little too much but its made me not want to drink because I dont want to end up like my parents (once he came to my (mormon) cousins wedding completely wasted ugh) but I dont think getting wasted in front of your kids should be used as a detterant so they wont drink
My husband and I do drink around our teens. We have wine once or twice a year, usually on our anniversary or some other special occasion. Obviously we are of legal age, we don't do it often, and we never drive while drinking. I think showing use in moderation and being responsible about it puts it in light as an adult activity.
hello; yes i am a parent. i'm the parent of eight children in fact. they are all ranging in age from six months to fifteen years old. i love my children very much but even a mommy has to party sometimes! i don't get drunk but i will finish a can of beer or a glass of wine. i'm not an obssesive drinker but i refuse to deprive myself of liquor completely. that's just not happening. i watched my parents drink when i was growing up and i didn't end up being a drunk! in fact, i took my first sip of liquor when i was 21! so listen; whether to drink underage or not is 100% up to the child.





In Europe they don't have half as many issues with underage drinking as America does! The reason is because, the kids are constantly around it. There parents sip champagne with every meal! The kids are allowed to sample the liquor at young ages. This way they grow up thinking its no different from apple juice! America makes to big of a deal with liquor. If you drink underage you are a rebel! That is what teens think in the U.S. In Europe they've been around it all their lives they know how much to drink without getting drunk. I think Europe handles the alcohol rules so much better then the U.S.A. But then again that's only my 2 cents.





hope i've helped!
my parents drink.


i don't drink and don't want to.


they drink responsibly.


i unserstand that i don't know if i would.
I agree with you on this one. I have 2 kids 11 and 6. I have never had any drink around my kids. Last year at my daughters birthday party, One of my brothers brought some beer and started to drink around the kids. I asked him to either pour it out or leave. I will not have it around them. I don't know what to tell you except they are being disrespectful to you. And, not teaching you good morals.
theres drinking occasionally and then theres drinkin until ur freakin passed out....i think parents tell their kids not to drink because when you're in a group of people you can get carried away and end up pissy drunk...which is what they don't want....then again idk cause my parents never told me don't drink. I just don't.
My parents drank infront of me before i was old enough to, i just used to think it was funny. I think the reason the laws are there are because of responsibility rather than a health perspective.





My parents drive infront of me and i'm not allowed to do that either. It would be unsafe if i did, and to an extent it is unsafe that they drive as there are always accidents, yet they still do.
Hi!





Good question. I am a parent of three children ages 7, 22 and 23 and I do not ever drink around them. If I do drink at all, it is a glass of wine with dinner when I am out with friends, but I do not even have alcohol in my house except a small bottle of Amaretto and a bottle of wine.





I agree with you-as a parent I am setting an example to my children as well as the children of my friends. Actions speak louder than words and if I am expecting a certain standard of behavior from my kids, then I must also be willing to do the same.





I personally feel that alcohol does more harm to the body than good so I avoid it as much as possible. I really commend you that you have not given in to peer pressure and do not drink either. Stay healthy and alert! It is extremely harmful for a growing body! Besides that, It causes bad breath %26amp; premature wrinkles too!! (For Real!!)





However, as parents, we do not have an instruction book for parenting and do make mistakes. We are human and most parents do not intentionally try to hurt their child. They just sometimes really do not realize what their own actions say to their children.





When you become a parent, always try to ';Practice what you Preach'; and your children will grow up with respect for you and for themselves!





Hope this was helpful!
my parents don't drink.


i don't drink.
IF ANY PARENTS DRINK AROUND THEIR KIDS, PUT IT AWAY, AND THINK! UR SUPPOSED TO BE A FRICKEN ROLE MODEL! DUMB.


AND NOOO, IT SHOULD NOT PU LIGHT ON IT FOR AN 'ADULT ACTIVITY'!!!!!!! WHAT THE HECK!


AND WHATS WRONG WITH THIS GENERATION ANYWAYS?????

No comments:

Post a Comment