Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Whats up with teenagers and popularity?

I am also a teenager...but i cant understand. Why are most teenagers so obsessed with popularity? I think i can guess the ';evolutionary function'; for this matter, but what do you think?Whats up with teenagers and popularity?
I would say that in adolescence, past (ancient) generations this was likely a very important time in a humans life to establish oneself in a position of high social standing or importance (dominant, alpha, most likely to acquire the best mate, and a person of respect in the tribe). Or a person who is seen as insignificant (submissive, lowest rung in the tribe, unlikely to mate, and possibly in danger of being expelled from his/her tribe)


This would be my suspected ';evolutionary'; importance in the striving for social status (popularity)..


However, in this day and age, I think it is an important time in a youths life to assert themselves, thus validating a persons social status; not to mention the added perks ';popularity'; has for an adolescent. Ie. girls/guys, entertainment, respect, and the ';good feeling'; that comes with high social standing. So the evolutionary importance is significantly decreased, yet the emotional gains are undeniable.Whats up with teenagers and popularity?
He-he :)..No, but I thought you were definitely a college graduate. You do realize you are smarter and more knowledgeable than the average teenager, no? You are.


No offense intended. I was and am just impressed. I don't see such wisdom often around here.


BUT you don't sound OLD either! lol

Report Abuse



Because it seems as though those stupid blondes that run the school have everything, and when you don't have much confidence, it's who you want to be.


They can easily control you.


Trust me, I've been in situations like this, but there is no higher power.


I've definitely told someone ';popular'; off, and when it comes down to it, they're more insecure about who they really are more than anything else. Every teen goes through it, some fall under the pressure harder than others.
They just want a story to tell when they get older like..';I was soo popular in high school.'; I go to the biggest high school in my state with almost 4,000 people, it's way too big to have a popular group because a lot of people don't know people because there's so many. I guess you can call groups ';known'; people but they're not ';popular';.
I think it's the lack of common sense, or just plain stupidity.I'm also a teenager myself and I can't believe what some of these teenagers worry about like their nails and boyfriends etc.


Everytime I see a superficial teen idiot I want to give them a slap.
Yea... I also don't care about popularity. People should like you for who you are and you should like people for what's inside, not because of their status? I have friends and I have people that like me... I really don't know what else I could need.
I don't care about it. I have friends, so thats all I need. And anyways, a lot of the ';popular'; people at my school are constantly at war with each other.
Depends if you are an extrovert or introvert. I am an introvert and would never want to be popular. To be the center of attention scares me.
MEDIA!! They make it seem like popularity is the most important thing!!!
y wouldnt teenagers be obbsessed with popularity???





everyone else is!!
i might only be a 42 year old mother





but who doesnt want more friends? to be looked up to?

No comments:

Post a Comment