Friday, December 25, 2009

A question for parents of teenagers and younger children?

do you believe in spanking if the child deserves it? such as hitting another sibling, or yourself. back talking, foul language, ect?A question for parents of teenagers and younger children?
Of course, but spanking must never be done because of the parents' anger, only because of the child's behavior.





And never use a weapon (belt, stick, etc.)! The object is not to inflict serious pain or injury. You just want to get the child's undivided attention.





It always worked for me, and my kids are very rarely in need of a spanking.





And to all you liberal wackos out there, spanking is not violence, and it doesn't teach the kids to be violent. It simply teaches that there are negative consequences to improper actions.A question for parents of teenagers and younger children?
No, I don't believe it teaches a child any lesson besides 'Do what I say because I'm more powerful than you are'.





I'd rather my children learned 'Do what I say because it makes sense'. That way, they will learn to think properly for themselves, without relying on external motivators that may not be there for them throughout their lives.
Yup! But, I save it as a last resort.
I have used spanking as a method on occassion but not in a while. I try to communicate with them now when they are doing a behavior I am not fond of. I think that communication gives better results, however don't get me wrong when communication don't work, or I tried communciation first and then punishment like grounding or taking particular things away and the behavior still comes up, spanking can come in handy too. It really just depends, but spanking in not my first resort in dealing with behavior issues. Especially if you hit the child for hitting another child, what example are you teaching???
Spanking should be reserved only for the most extreme circumstances. My 4 year old is, for the most part, VERY well behaved compared to others his age. I can cound on one hand the number of times he has been spanked.
hey if talking to them doesn't work then hell yeah.it will only get worse if you don't put he/she in their place now.oh and by the way its not against the law to spank your child!
spanking a child for hitting another child only teaches a child that it is ok to hit. i only spank when it's serious, and with my 4 kids, it usually doesn't get serious. I think it's better to exhaust all other punishments before resorting to spanking.
yes i an not just a wordologist but i an also a spankologis i did us it but i had rules 1 NEVER out of anger 2 NEVER with a object because the hand works it not the pain i want its the act i want rememberwith a little pain 3 make sure the child knows clearly why thay are getting spanked 4 when thay test the firer to see if its still hot make sure thay know it is and no matter how cute u think it is its still wrong and wrong is what u want to correct 4 do not treaten them with a spaken it will losts its effect it work for me all my children are grow now and one surprised me and said she was glad for one happy parenting
My son's are 2yo (they are twins) and yes they have been smacked. I have smacked my boy only twice each and it was because they did something stupid and could have really hurt themselves.


Once was because one was playing with the wood heater (thank god it wasn't going), once for running out onto the road (no traffic thank god!) and once quite recently when both stopped in the middle of the road at the traffic lights. They were both holding my hands and just decided to drop, I am not a very big woman and am currently pregnant. I literally had to drag them across the road! It was not a good day.





When I was a teenager I never dared back chatting my foster parents or my grandparents ever! My foster brother did once and he got back slapped. It never hurt him and he never did it again!
My husband and I use the time out method. Spanking is a last resort for very bad behavior or when time out just has not worked. We only spank on the butt with our hand, never anywhere else on their body. Sometimes a kid just needs a good old fashion spanking to know that you mean business!
Yep...but not for any little reason.


Stealing, constant lying and bullying all come under my smack rule......I just don't do it very often..it has to be serious!!
all of the above and then some... i believe in corporal punishment... i got my butt tore and i turned out ok... and i attribute that to the punishments i received to remind me the difference between right or wrong...
Yes I do if it is an effective punishment. I raised a daughter and a son. My daughter hated being spanked so it was a very effective punishment for her. It didn't bother my son at all so grounding actually worked better for him.
No I don't. I do not think it teaches anything. How can you say don't hit while you are hitting the child and expect them to learn?


I think hitting teaches fear, and makes kids learn how to not get caught. But it doesn't teach them to care about how they cause others to feel.
Yeah,,but you also have to tell them why you are doing it..


but don't over react to the point where he has bruises all over his body, that would be dangerous...





Just tap him a little bit and explained to him why you are doing it... if you spank him/her and just tell her don't do it again, it wont work....................................鈥?br>




kids need to acknowledge what they did wrong and the best solution to make it right.
if you've ever watched the programme 'super nanny' i think you should do what she advises and put them in a naughty corner or send them to their room for a certain amount of time
you asked a very leading question. not everyone agrees that a child ever DESERVES to be spanked. so, the wording of your question will cause you some issues alone. i was spanked as a child. i can say, i don't think it changed me. in fact, i often pushed boundaries (talking back, rolling my eyes, etc) just to see how far i could push it. rebelling is a natural part of growing up. i don't feel that the spanking corrected me or got me in line. but guess what...i was always on honor roll, went directly to college, got married, and am totally normal. so, just because your kid is stressing you out, doesn't mean they deserve a whooping. but, if you do spank, it likely won't destroy them either. i don't plain to spank my kids, because it really doesn't deter the behavior. if anything, the kid either goes underground with the behavior and starts lying or being sneaky. as a sociology student, studies have shown that children who are spanked are no more likely to ';tow the line';. in fact, there is a link btwn spanking and violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment