Thursday, December 31, 2009

Why are teenagers so close minded to older music?

was wondering why teenagers are so close minded to music that is older?Why are teenagers so close minded to older music?
many teenagers I know are close minded to older music but I am not.I like music from the 1960s and 1970s as well as music from the 80s to today.I guess teenagers do not like music that their parents like and want to listen to all the music their friends call ';awesome';Why are teenagers so close minded to older music?
That is something of a stereotype ~ you will find that many of the users here who answer Qs about older music *are* teenagers!





Although I'm 27, I was always into 'older' {1950s+} music right from my early childhood, thanks to parental exposure to it. But in my mid-late teens {having tried and disliked a lot of the 'current' music of the 90s}, I chose to further explore pre-1980 bands, and expanded my music collection with a lot of it ~ and I still do, but I also have some 1980 - present day artists as well.








I guess some of the reasons some teenagers are closed-minded are :


# Lack of exposure ~ younger parents listen to more recent music, and some listen just to be 'hip with the kids'.





# They want to feel part of their peer group ~ it's not easy being the odd-kid-out because of your personal tastes, and some people are to scared to be themselves.





# Short attention spans ~ a lot of 'chart' music is bought on impulse, based on the sound of it. Many people don't listen to full songs anymore, just a minute or so before moving on to another song. They don't 'hear' the lyrics, and when they do don't always care. So much of society is filled with background music {from TV shows to shopping centres}, that people just want songs on as 'background', but don't actually 'listen' to them.
Why are older people so closed minded to modern music?





Obviously neither of these questions will be completely accurate, but it all has to do with the cultural context. What people are familiar with is the 'right' music, and everything else is questionable at best.


And people will want to get involved in the music: follow the artist, wait for new albums, see them live, etc.








For the record, I enjoy the music of Blue Öyster Cult, Yes, Boston and others of their time, as well as much older classical music.
Because they've been brainwashed by the big labels. It's a standard part of marketing for companies to do this. They try to create a clique around their music and to brand anything else unworthy in order to lock kids into a consumer cycle in which they will habitually buy one type of thing and avoid the other without even knowing about it.





Give kids these days a Greenday CD and a CD form a similar sounding older band and they will listen to both, but ask them if they want to listen to the older one and they will say no without even giving it a try or knowing that they've just listened to it and liked it.
I'm 15, and I generally like any type of music. Any language, and culture, and any time. The only music I don't really like is the 70's and 80's. I like music before and after the 70's and 80's though. I do like some music during that time, but honestly most of it sucks in my opinion.





I especially like old Christmas songs, those are my favorite :3





I am not closed minded to music at all because of how old it is though. If I like a song, I like it, regardless of how old it is.





I just love music. Period.
I know what you mean - but that is generalising, I do know a lot of people who love the likes of The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix etc.


But to your question, it's probably because they think that their friends will not like it and that sort of music is 'out' and not in fashion anymore - I beg to differ, I prefer the older music! Music these days to me: Ndubz, Tinchy Stryder, Girls Aloud - you can blame me for liking the older music!
Teens nowadays are actually more open-minded and intelligent about music than we were when i was a teen. There are lots of kids who listen to Classic Rock, a lot of which is over 40 years old. I'll tell you this, when i was a teen in the 70's, there's no way in HELL any of us (and i mean ANY) would have been caught dead listening to anything that old. The 40's and 50's??? Ha! We couldn't have even named one artist of the era of our parents. Kids knew who Elvis was, and that was about it. If there had been a kid who was listening to Bing Crosby or Cole Porter (which would have been the time-equivalent of kids now listening to the Beatles, Stones etc) we would have thought he was some kind of alien freak show! All we knew was Punk, Disco, and Hard Rock. Teens in the 70's didn't even listened to the Beatles or other 60's music because it was considered nerdy and passe'. Teens now are way more open minded.
it depends on the group





some my friends think oasis are the greatest thing to have hit the planet since the beatles, but they have never listened to the likes of the doors or led zep





some my friends refuse to listen to new stuff unless you can claim its genuinely good.





im 17 ever since i was about 14 i've been listening %26amp; expanding from the pixies RHCP %26amp; nirvana.


now i listen to a fair bit of blues %26amp; funk.





i suppose its just ignorance people dont like to go outside their comfort zone ie ''emo/pop'' which is the music of our generation.
This is not completely true. Sure most stereotypes depict a teenager that way, but it is more common than you think. Personally, I am a big fan of Smokey Robinson, The Tragically Hip, The Beatles, and Pink Floyd. Some teenagers are fairly close minded, but not all are.


(:
why are some old people close minded to newer music? why are most people close minded to the genres that they arent into and music from countries that dont speak their language?





people (me included even though i try) are close minded. let he without any hang-ups be the first to throw a stone.
Troll, a lot of teenagers like older music, your just looking in the wrong places. From Old Rap, to Old Rock, to Funk, to DJ, to Old Metal, there are a lot of kids who prefer it over the new music... if you can even call it that
For those of you teens who like older music and respect it, good for you. I commend you. Those who don't, it's because of crap like MTV, and todays media that shove this pop crap down everybody's throat. Brainwashing.....
Because it's not the social norm.





That's a very generalized statement, though. I actually don't know a single teenager who's *completely* closeminded to older music.
everyone in m school pretty much likes old music i know thats not much considering that we only have 80 kids in grade 7-12 but still. it doest help that we are all hicks lol
I'm 17 and I like older music, it's just taste I guess. We are not all like that, I know a guy and his favourite artist is Frank Sinatra.
we find it interesting... like it =]


ALOT!!!!1
I actually know a lot of teenagers who like older music. %26lt;3
we are peer pressured into hearing the popular music of today...
Why are you generalizing?
Because god forbid they be seen as liking anything their parents might like.

No comments:

Post a Comment