Friday, December 25, 2009

What Christmas presents were children/teenagers likely to receive in the 1950's?

....What Christmas presents were children/teenagers likely to receive in the 1950's?
hard to remember..we did not get a lot...I have a chrismas picture from the 50's with a new bike I got..we had..3 kids of 6 were here in the 50s and the tree for five looks like it had about 15 presents.





we might get a doll..revlon was my favorite..I remeber chatty cathy was a big sensation and they had a variety of dollls and doll clothes and waredrobe cases..





maybe a game...sometime I got a park and shop game but maybe that was early 60s..the barbie game, comics. popular toys were hula hoops, soap bubbles. dolls (I had a child-size dancing doll that you put the straps to your feet), roller skates with the key, 45 and 78 rpm records, paddle balls, clay, clothes, toy irons and cleaning toys, doll houses ( had a metal one with several rooms), jacks, jump ropes, coloring books, crayons, baseball gloves..these are thing I remember from my childhood ..I am sure there were a lot more, but though they were quite a few toys in the stores, when my kids were growing in the 70/80. I would say stores had well over 10 times more to chose from





My grandma who had a lot of grandkids always got us each a silver dollar..my godmother (aunt) got me a present but godfather (an uncle) rarely did, but I do remember one year when he gave me a $5 bill. We would buy presents for aunts and uncles at dime store for a dime like hankies, little perfume and things like that and a little more for our parents.





I edited this and will add more if I think of anything.,What Christmas presents were children/teenagers likely to receive in the 1950's?
My brothers and I were children in the 1950's and these are some of the toys that I recall us getting:





Ginny Dolls and Barbie dolls. Also a doll named Betsy Wetsy.





Lionel train sets, Mattel Hot Wheels, Erector sets, Dinky toys, Matchbox cars.





Red wagons, bikes, and model airplane and car kits were big, too.





One of my brothers even got a model of the human body.... he had to put it together.





Hope this answers your question. I am sure there are lots more. Why don't you ';Google'; it?





Merry Christmas!
Silly Putty


Record players and 45 records


Tea sets


Tinker toys


Pogo sticks


Stilts


Yo yo's


Lightening Whirl-O


Frisbee


Bicycles


Unicycles


Sock Monkey
Like a rock, or a shoe (not a pair though), and if they were lucky like a lollypop or something. Wow times have really changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment