Friday, December 25, 2009

What's with the ageism against teenagers and young adults?

I've noticed on this site and in real life a real growth in this feeling that my generation is inadequate. It seems that so many people think that the next round of college students will only be there to party and that everyone in my generation is looking for the easy way out. We're being accused of being lazy individuals with no ambition, who will lie, cheat, and steal to get what we want the easy way and who have no concept of how the world really works.





So I have a few questions:


1.) What makes older generations think that the majority of us are failures?


2.) What makes everyone think that this kind of discrimination is okay, when it's not considered okay to be racist, sexist, or even to show ageism to older individuals?


3.) If you are a member of my parents generation, do you have children? Do you think they are productive members of society? Do you think they are the exeption to the rule or that many of their peers will earn success as well?What's with the ageism against teenagers and young adults?
Not everyone of the older generation thinks all those negative things about the younger generation. Actually the younger generation in my view has it much harder then the older generation in many ways, we could climb up the corporate latter with out a college degree as one example and you can't get away with that now. I often hear older folks say they would not want to be in your shoes, so I would suspect that many have great respect and admiration for your generation. Your generation has a tough road ahead and my hats off to you as most of the younger generation are hard working and very smart people and like every generation you have your lazy asses to deal with who give the rest of you a bad reputation.What's with the ageism against teenagers and young adults?
I am a young adult too but I never got this feeling you have. it's all in your mind. Don't pay attention to those who discriminate. They are just there to make you feel bad. But you know, 18 IS kinda young to know alot about life. Maybe that's what they are just saying.

Report Abuse



Stop whinning, that's the last thing I want to say!

Report Abuse



It's the cycle of life. When you get older you'll start noticing everything that's wrong with young people too.
well fr one i think that the open oppurtunities thing is right and its probably because they had manual labor we have computers robots and cars when they had to walk to school go read books for research and write out what they wanted to say back when they had to be home when the street lights are on they hated life and now we can stay out because of blackboxes and cellies they know they have to let up so instead of keepin us in they dog us out and say how lazy and ungrateful we are and frankly i think think that we are more grateful than them becuase we worship our phones and such where they messed up instead of scratching it out they started over and got us into this global warming mess because of all of the paper that they used so that is my take on it and i feel that this should be a best answer
I think you're missing something here. Every young generation feels the ones before it are condemning it. I was your age in the 70's and we all felt that way. It's not just your generation. I think your generation is a very advanced technological generation. I think you are smarter than us. Honest truth.
when a 5 year old has more gold around his neck than I have in my house I think it is safe to say he's spoiled. When a teen or college student tries to tell an older generation how the world works I think that they haven't seen the real world so what do they know about it. The older generations made this country what it is today. They fought wars for it. Worked ther fingers off for it. I'm not elderly or old but I give respect were it belongs.

No comments:

Post a Comment