Thursday, January 21, 2010

Why can't teenagers tell time using a clockface? Is this not taught anymore?

I'm a teenger and I think that society has just gotten lazier over the years. It is tauguht in schools when we are very young, but since everywhere we see a clock, it's a digital clock, we just grow accustomed to using it. Computers, iPods, TVs, Ovens all have digital clocks and we just like it better because it's easier and choose to use it.Why can't teenagers tell time using a clockface? Is this not taught anymore?
I personally can tell the time using a clockface - Maybe i'm particularly priviliged in that I have recieved a good education at a private school, but as much as I agree that the average IQ in todays teenagers is probably dropping, I feel you're being quite harsh saying we can't tell the time using a clockface.





Maybe the education is different where you are, but everywhere here, in Scotland, the analogue clock times is one of the first things you learn in school. I remember learning it in Primary 1 (1st grade).





I think the person above me has probably hit the nail on the head, in suggesting that it could be to do with all the technology today using digital clocks etc. and we all just get used to telling the time from these, but I still feel it is simple, basic education which teaches us to read a clock.Why can't teenagers tell time using a clockface? Is this not taught anymore?
I'm a teenager, I can tell the time using a clock face, I know a lot of teenagers, I can't think of any who can't tell the time using a clock face. To be honest parents and school had me pretty capable of that by the time I was 5.
What kind of evidence do you have that supports your question? All of my teenage friends and I are perfectly capable of telling time with a traditional clock; it is just far easier to whip out your cellphone to have the time instantly available to you in an easy-to-read format.
Teenagers are idiots who are taught by MTV instead of educators.

No comments:

Post a Comment